Saturday, April 18, 2009

Marshmallow Sauce

So, one of the students from my last class at Macey's asked me about a marshmallow sauce. I just happen to have this one. I suspect that the original inspiration for this recipe, (which was handed down to me from my mother many years ago), came from a sort of agriculture themed theme park in Northern California called Nut Tree. They used to serve a big cup full of fruits with pineapple, strawberries, and bananas all covered in a marshmallow sauce. This sauce is pretty similar to it, as I recall, although it has been about 30 years since I was there last.
In any case, regardless of who thought of the original recipe, you'll have fun making this, and the result is unbeatable. You'll never want to use the stuff from a jar again. The marshmallow has a light, fluid texture to it, and a rich, creamy flavor. I often put in a little bit of extra vanilla, which has a lovely background flavor. Be sure to use real vanilla, not imitation. You can tell the difference by looking at the bottle it's in. If it says 'vanillin' it's imitation, and you can safely pour it down the drain. One day, I'll make a version of the recipe using vanilla beans. That sounds wonderful, if expensive.
Also, check the note at the bottom for a variation of this that I do with honey. It's also very good, and has a very different taste to it. I know a sweet young lady named Kate, the second daughter of my dear friend Doug, who is allergic to corn, and consequently corn syrup. I can't imagine how hard that must make eating for her. This honey version is a great thing for anyone with corn allergies, but still tastes incredible. I'll make the honey version sometimes, just for variety.



1 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Hot Water
⅔ Cup Corn Syrup

Cook without stirring just until firm ball (240̊ F) stage.

In a separate metal or glass bowl (not plastic) beat until stiff:

2 large Egg Whites
Dash of salt

When the egg whites are stiff but not dry, slowly pour in the hot syrup, and continue to beat until fluffy. The mixture will increase in size dramatically at this point.

Beat in:
¼ Cup Mayonnaise (scant)
1 Tbsp. freshly grated Orange (or lemon) Rind
2 tsp. Vanilla

Serve as a dip with fruits. Strawberries, pineapple, and kiwi work especially well.

Note: For the honey version of this recipe replace the first three ingredients (the sugar, water, and syrup) with the following:

1½ Cups Sugar
1¼ Cups Honey

There is no water in this version of the recipe.

2 comments:

CarrieAnne said...

That stuff had mayonnaise in it?!? WTC?!!! I'm just..well..it's MAYONNAISE!!

At least you can't taste it.

CarrieAnne said...

That stuff had mayonnaise in it?!!! WTC!!

At least it doesn't taste like it..but still MAYONNAISE?! WARM?!?

It like one of those unwritten rules that you can't heat that stuff up....cause EWW!

(Too bad I like it.)